Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do you want most in this game?

+2
T-Rok
Ace
6 posters

:: Chat

Go down

What do you want most in this game? Empty What do you want most in this game?

Post by Ace Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:59 pm

I'd really like to know what you guys, as gamers, are wanting (or expecting) this game to be. What do you want most in this game? 587596

What do you want most in this game? As a gamer, tell me, on any level, what kinds of stuff you'd like to see in a game like this. Be creative and far-fetched. I'm listening. ^_^
Ace
Ace
Admin

Back to top Go down

What do you want most in this game? Empty Re: What do you want most in this game?

Post by T-Rok Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:06 pm

Customization. But thats what its based around, so you've got no worries there. xD
T-Rok
T-Rok

Back to top Go down

What do you want most in this game? Empty Re: What do you want most in this game?

Post by Ace Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:15 pm

Lol, yup. Very Happy

At the same time, what kind of customization do you want or would you think might be a bit too excessive?
Ace
Ace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ArgonWire Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:38 pm

Combos! I love the concept of them in general. Nothing flashy, but I'll want to be able to string together chains of attacks when the opponent leaves himself open.

Environment-interaction would also be neat - Wall-climbing, digging, arena hazards, destructible/movable objects and the rest. I believe at least half of that is already planned, though.

And going back to customisation.. I possibly have too many suggestions for that XD. The one I'll start on, is the inclusion of characters that are able to transform into others (Zelda/Shiek from SSB would be my best example).

ArgonWire

Back to top Go down

Post by Ace Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:11 pm

@ArgonWire:
Yeah, combos are something I'm trying to suss out gameplay-wise (as in, how am I going to handle them in relation to other states and fairness).

For transforming characters, I've considered that, but it would honestly be a huge challenge technically and, not only that, matches would need much more time to load since you're sending your character twice (in effect) to other people. Other than those two reasons, I wouldn't be opposed to the idea.

Environment interactions are definitely a part of the game, and even destructible objects. I've considered destructible terrain too, but it's not something I could really do when I offer the ability to make your own levels. I wouldn't know how to make it interact with the tiles you build your level out of quite yet since you will be able to use multiple sized tiles to build your level from and not be restricted to a particular area of the tileset.
Ace
Ace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ArgonWire Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:40 pm

Yeah, I figured transforming chars would be pretty difficult, along with destructible terrain. Even if they are added later, they shouldn't be needed.

Another customisation suggestion: general object creation. As well as bombs and mines - options for temporary platforms, pitfalls, trampolines, sigils, food, minions, etc.

ArgonWire

Back to top Go down

Post by Ace Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:57 pm

Yeah, general object creation should be present in Create-an-RPG mode where objects can be created on the fly by the host. In addition, you'll be able to place certain kinds of objects into the worlds in the room designer, such as enemy instances. As far as different kinds of platforms, I'm trying to figure out how I should do that. It might be possible to create sprites from the background tileset which would be used for different kinds of platforms, but I'm not sure yet. Good ideas though. Smile

Also, what do you mean by sigils and food?
Ace
Ace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CompetitorsIdeal Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:36 pm

Ace, when is the official beta coming out?

CompetitorsIdeal

Back to top Go down

Post by Ace Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:14 pm

First off, just fyi, your comment is off-topic. Questions about the beta aren't something I can answer with a lot of certainty due to the fact that I (as well as other members of the team) have real life obligations to tend to, and those tend to take priority over how much time a particular person has to devote to a given area of the game. We aren't able to devote ourselves to this full-time -- whether we want to or not.

This is the first (and only) time I will answer an off-topic question in the middle of another thread (and ONLY because it is my own thread). It'd be better if you started a new thread so everyone can see my answer if they're interested rather than have to dig through other topics to find it in the future.

Anyway, with THAT said...

I'm currently working on some debugging along with getting the team organized right now so things have been progressing a lot more slowly than I anticipated. I'm not going to release a half-ass attempt at a demo, so, before I release something sub-par, I'm going to take as much time as necessary to get the things into the demo that I've planned.

As much as I'd like to, I'm not going to rush this game. I don't want people to get a crap demo and expect that to be the quality of the game.

To be honest, I will probably release a few videos first. At the moment there are just too many main functions not quite in place to show off the game as it was intended. No worries though. The game is definitely coming along nicely regardless. I may release a VERY limited demo soon anyway just to allow a few faithful members play around with it before we begin to integrate the true online experience. Like I said, I've got a bit of debugging to do first, but we're almost feature-complete on this basic level of gameplay (just a few various attacks really, but they do show off what can currently be done with a character).

Now, would you like to answer the question in the subject on this topic?
Ace
Ace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by T-Rok Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:58 pm

Perhaps.. Hmm.. Items for character would be a pain, at least to have it all drawn on the character. Why not have equipment, but it would not show? You would earn it through fights, and the stats on equipment would be random like in Diablo. It would allow for a little more customization even during the game. Like say a boots that let you jump higher. These boots have a varying amount of increase though from 1-5. 1 being common, 5 being rare. So if you got the common one, your jump would increase by 1, while if you got the 5, the rarest, it would increae by 5

Boots Of Jump +1 - 80% chance
Boots Of Jump +2 - 10% chance
Boots Of Jump +3 - 5% chance
Boots Of Jump +4 - 4% chance
boots of Jump +6 - 1% chance

Not real chances, but that is an example of what I mean.
T-Rok
T-Rok

Back to top Go down

Post by Ace Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:19 pm

It's likely that I won't do this. Equipment in a fighting game is overkill when you can already set your own stats with ability points. Besides, this seems like it would over-complicate things.

On the other hand, it is likely I will do something with helpful items and randomization. I'm thinking in regards to Super Smash Bros where you'll tend to have random items spawn at certain locations on the maps. In reality, this might be something like health-up items or bombs or maybe stuff like turtle shells and even enemies or sonic-like shields. There are plenty of ideas like this, but we'll have to see. Smile

Though, any physical attributes will be handled by ability points (AP), so you just assign your character's extra stats that way to keep it simple.
Ace
Ace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by T-Rok Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:18 pm

Ohhh, didn't know about these ability points. lol
T-Rok
T-Rok

Back to top Go down

Post by CompetitorsIdeal Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:30 pm

Couldn't you use the 39's DLL to make these abilities?

The dll allows people to store web based information in a database and users retrieve that information for their abilities.

Sorry to talk like a programmer.(I am a C++/C# programmer)

CompetitorsIdeal

Back to top Go down

Post by T-Rok Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:46 pm

What do you mean? 39ster's DLL is most likely already being used. Considering it is an online game made in game maker, this is really the only route to take. If you could clarify it would be most helpful.
T-Rok
T-Rok

Back to top Go down

Post by CompetitorsIdeal Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:48 pm

Stupid question...nvm

Well, some people use mplay, which needs port-fowarding.

Does the 39 dll need that?

CompetitorsIdeal

Back to top Go down

Post by T-Rok Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:51 pm

39dll does need port forwarding. It uses both TCP and UDP. And the people that do use mplay are just learning. I wouldn't expect this type of project to be done by a newbie. On top of that, I've seen some of Ace's stuff on the GMC. Razz

EDIT: Oh.. maybe you meant to connect? Only host needs to port forward.
T-Rok
T-Rok

Back to top Go down

Post by CompetitorsIdeal Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:56 pm

DANG!

I don't want to forward my port because I might ruin it...

39 rules mplay. I would never use mplay in my life. Besides, 39 is actually easier.

CompetitorsIdeal

Back to top Go down

Post by T-Rok Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:54 pm

I can help you portfoward? I do it almost on a daily basis because I don't have a Static IP, I have Dynamic.
T-Rok
T-Rok

Back to top Go down

Post by CompetitorsIdeal Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:09 am

Oh, sure! Just email me at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. Very Happy

CompetitorsIdeal

Back to top Go down

Post by Nial8r Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Something I would like is being able to create your own server. Eventually. That would be nice, but it would only be up while you are running your server. Then in your own server, you could control items ect... Anyway thats what I thought id add.
Nial8r
Nial8r

Back to top Go down

Post by Ace Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:12 pm

@Nial8r
There is a mode called "Create an RPG" that allows you to pretty much do this. Basically it's a free form mode where you can pretty much hang out and do what you want. The person hosting will be the master of the game and acts as a storyteller that can spawn items, enemies, etc. on the fly.

The mode itself won't have the rules of the main game modes (i.e., if you die, you just respawn without penalty). It's simply there to play around on and host roleplay sessions with your friends if you like. The mode will allow you to use custom arenas as well, so you are able to basically do anything you want.

You can do one of two things in this mode: host a private server for you and your friends to join, or display it for the world so any person can join.
Ace
Ace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nial8r Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:45 pm

Glad to hear. I havent been able to get on, as my computer got hacked. Im using someone else's right now. Not to sound like a bother, but do you have friends/enemies/block lists planned out? (and teams?)

And btw, signitures arent working in your forums.
Nial8r
Nial8r

Back to top Go down

Post by Ace Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:57 pm

Signatures are working now. Also, a friends/enemies list is likely. We are working to get the central server up and running right now, so it will be a little while of silence until we can get some stuff up and running, but it is not going to be too much longer. Smile
Ace
Ace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Khao Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:11 pm

You mentioned items a while back.

Will it be possible to create custom items, and have them appear in multiplayer battles? Then you could also use items created by other players as you fight against them.

Also, how will you go if someone sprites a character such as, a red ball. With no animations, at least not visually, all it's frames are simply a 32x32 red ball. Would it be slightly game breaking to have no idea what your opponent is doing? or you have a way to go around this?

Khao

Back to top Go down

Post by Ace Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:11 am

Khao wrote:Will it be possible to create custom items, and have them appear in multiplayer battles? Then you could also use items created by other players as you fight against them.

Also, how will you go if someone sprites a character such as, a red ball. With no animations, at least not visually, all it's frames are simply a 32x32 red ball. Would it be slightly game breaking to have no idea what your opponent is doing? or you have a way to go around this?

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "items"; if you're referring to super smash bros style items, the short answer is no, not exactly. The abilities you select when a character is created are the abilities you get. I may add items that are beneficial (such as health increases) or items that inflict status ailments (like poison or blindness), but the 'items' you can use to fight with are based on the abilities you select. These aren't predefined completely, and many parameters (such as the speed and strength of your bullet, for example, or the rate and distance you can fire) can be customized by using additional abilities. The parameter abilities are on a per-attack basis, so, if you have a boomerang, for example, you can increase the distance and speed it goes before your boomerang returns to you. These are limited mostly by the ability points you're willing to put into it.

As far as your ball scenario, that's a really good question. The animations you choose for your character are your choice. You can make them as subtle or as elaborate as you'd like, and they can be used strategically just as you suggested. However, if you chase after your opponent and you can't tell whether you can get close to him to hit him, you have to devise your own strategy to counter his strategy (likely based on his play style in this case). This is, after all, a great example of why you should never be reactionary in a battle -- if you plan to win against an intelligent opponent.

If he chases you a lot, you are likely able to get him from below or from above with an attack if you just mix up your movements and confuse him instead. A stoic enemy isnt as tough when you play the game with the same kind of intelligence, and strategy, he is using on you. It is very likely he will not know how to counter his own technique -- especially if he's using such a cheap way to fight. To put it simply, winning that sort of battle is both possible and up to you. What do you want most in this game? 587596

This is a game based on strategy, and whatever you can do to win (outside of game alteration) is fair. I am going to do my best to make sure none of the abilities in the game can be exploited in ways other than the ways they were intended. This might mean the sacrifice of many flashy abilities, but the gameplay will always remain fair wherever I am concerned. I don't like cheap abilities, and don't plan to include them.
Ace
Ace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Khao Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:49 pm

The "power-up" kind of item is more than enough to me.

I see, so that would be just a part of the strategy created by customization in the game. Actually, when put like that, now I kind of want to find someone using a non-moving ball.

Khao

Back to top Go down

Post by Nial8r Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:39 am

I have only one request as far as items: Smashball.

Not a real smashball, but something that does about the same thing.
Nial8r
Nial8r

Back to top Go down

Post by Ace Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:15 am

Nial8r wrote:I have only one request as far as items: Smashball.

Not a real smashball, but something that does about the same thing.

I have considered adding a twice-per-battle special attack that is something akin to final smashes or hyper moves in a marvel vs capcom sense, but this is something I'm not sure will scale up to allow much customization.

If I add these kind of attacks, the most you could do to customize them would be to customize the sprites involved in the attack, but that's it.

Remember, the number of times you can activate the attack will be twice per battle, and you may face an opponent using the same attack as you. It won't be completely personalized, but it's the only way to keep fairness in the game. I will do my best to allow for a good variety in the attacks, but I can't give everyone their own personalized special move due to game balance issues. If you guys want special attacks like this, let me know. I might opt out in adding this altogether if I get too many over the top requests for special attacks.
Ace
Ace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down